I was just thinking about this recent article I published in my column, "Post-traumatic Stress takes its toll on soldiers" and the recent headlines made here in El Paso regarding a soldier stationed at Fort Bliss.
Staff Sgt. Edison Bayas was sentenced to 15 years in prison and a fine of $10,000 after pleading guilty to intoxicated manslaughter. To summarize the incident, on December 29, 2007 Staff Sgt. Bayas crashed into a car that was waiting at the intersection of Montana Blvd. and Hawkins. The crash killed Valerie Talamantes (19 yrs) who was driving the car on her way home.
Now Bayas told authorities that he was having a flashback from his the time he spent in Iraq. I just wanted to let you in on what prompted the article in the El Paso Motherhood column.
There was another article about several soldiers from Fort Carson involved in different incidents that many suspect is a result of PTSD. For more information on the topic check out my article .. . there are links to additional news stories as well.
Fort Bliss Expects to Treat even more soldiers with PTSD
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment